New Democrats launch national tour to stop violence against women
October 31st, 2013 - 10:39am
Niki Ashton announced a national tour to consult with communities across Canada on how to implement legislation to stop violence against women.
"The women of Canada are calling out across regions and from all communities to put an end to violence against women" said Ashton, NDP Status of Women critic and MP for Churchill. "Rarely have we seen such consensus from advocates of women’s rights. A National Action Plan is necessary. I am tabling Motion M-444, which calls on the federal government to enact a National Action Plan to address violence against women.”
Ashton’s Private Member’s Motion is supported by stakeholders from across the country, including:
- Anne Dennis, Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women,
- Leilani Farah, Canada Without Poverty,
- Lise Martin, Canadian Network for Women's Shelters and Transition Houses,
- Deepa Mattoo, South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario,
- Kate McInturff, CCPA and
- Bridget Tolley, Families of Sister in Spirit.